Monday, January 21, 2008

Brief Dialogue between Mike and Roland

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the leadership question. Maybe some people are gifted to lead missionally, and some are gifted to lead traditionally, and some may be gifted to lead in another way. If I am a traditional leader, maybe I should lead traditionally. If I am a missional leader, then I should lead missionally. Some people are no type of leader. The key is that the leader lead with the style God has given him, and the church be lead in a style of the guy God puts in charge.

For me, to lead traditionally doesn't work. But to lead servant-like does.

Mike

Good insights Mike. I need to think about this some more. It would also seem besides leading in according to one's character, one needs to take into account the kind of people one leads -- if one leads traditionally but people do not respond or feel controlled and as a result chafe under that leadership, the way one leads needs to be shifted to enable people to grow, to be productive (in terms of business standards, etc). I guess, I sense that most people do not respond well over the long haul to traditional forms of leadership - being servants with the gift of leading enables people to sense that they are a vital part of the process.

Roland

1 comment:

Mike said...

Good point. I guess my perspective was more business. In business you don't have a choice whether to lead people, and those people don't have a choice if they are going to be lead. If you have a person that must be lead and they are a problem employee, then you may have to "force" leadership.

The church setting is different in that. If someone doesn't want to be lead, then they don't have to be, and you don't have to "force" them. That is a huge contrast, and certainly something to think about. So, the traditional leadership option isn't a required method. That is reassuring and helps with the realignment of my thoughts.

Mike